Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Ciências da Terra
Teacher in charge
Beatriz Fonseca Ferreira Lopes Marques
The goals of the "Geodinâmica Externa" are to provide studens with a basic understanding of surface processes and their associated landforms and, on small-scale, with an understanding of planetary geomorphology.
I. Exogenic processes
- Weathering. Soils.
- Slope processes and forms.
- Hillslope hydrology.
II. Landscape models
- Glacial processes and landforms. Basic types of glaciers. Erosional landforms, depositional landforms, fluvioglacial erosion, and deposition. The glacial processes landforms in Portugal.
- Periglacial processes and landforms. The periglacial environment. Periglacial processes. Frost action. Periglacial landforms, depositional forms related to mass movement. Periglacial processes and landforms in Portugal.
- Aeolian processes and landforms. Deserts. Aeolian activity. Depositional landforms and erosional landforms. Dune types. Development of impeded dunes. The aeolian processes and landforms in Portugal.
- Fluvial processes and landforms. The drainage basin hydrology. Fluvial depositional landforms and fluvial erosional landforms. Longitudinal profile. River terraces. Fluvial processes and landforms in Portugal.
- Coastal processes and landforms. Morphological and dynamic terminology of the beach profile and coastal zone. Estuary and deltas. Reefs. Types of coasts. Coastal processes and landforms in Portugal.
- Karst topography. Karst. Groundwater system. Karst weathering forms and climatic controls. Karst topography in Portugal.
- Climate. Global climatic changes (Milankovitch theory).
- Pleistocene glaciation, global and regional sea-level change.
III. Long-term landscape development
- Tectonic, climatic changes, vegetation and landscape development.
IV. Planetary geomorphology
- Planet-shaping processes.
CHRISTOFOLETTI, A. (1980)- Geomorfologia. Edgard Blucher, 2ª ed., São Paulo, 188p.
DERRUAN, M. (1979) - Les formes du relief terrestre. Masson, Paris, 119p.
MONTGOMERY, C. W. (1996) - Environmental Geology. McGraw Hill, New York, 546p.
LISITZIN, A. P. (2003) - Sea-Ice and Iceberg Sedimentation in the Ocean. Springer, Heidelberg, 564p.
SUMMERFIELD, M. A. (1997) - Global Geomorfology. An introduction to physical geology. Jonh Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2ª ed., 570p.
SKINNER, B. J. & PORTER, S. C. (1992) - The Dynamic Earth. An introduction to physical geology. Jonh Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2ª ed., 570p.
We make use of:
- multimedia products;
- key terms at the end of each chapter;
- sample test questions at the end of each chapter;
- presentations of the sample topics for students interested in pursuing a particular topic;
- ask questions during a lecture or during office hours if the students don''''t understand something;