Biology Laboratory Techniques I
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Ciências da Vida
Teacher in charge
António José Cabrita Lucas Laires, Nuno Alberto Fernandes Ferreira Neves
The main goal of the course is focused in the linkage between student’s integration in a cell and molecular biology laboratory space, together with the practice of selected Cell Biology methodologies.
This objective will be permanently accompanied by training in standard safety lab procedures (in prevention and accident) and by the theoretical and practical foundations of the scientific method and scientific writing. In articulation with TLB II (7624), more centred on molecular biology, this course prepare for specific and more differentiated courses, such as Neurobiology, Developmental Biology and Cell Toxicology.
Attendance to Introductory Biology and Chemistry for Biologists is strongly encouraged.
1. Introduction to main equipment and chemical compounds in the laboratory.
2. Safety procedures: prevention and accident. Hazards in a molecular cell biology laboratory.
3. The Scientific Method: definition, sequential steps and practical appliance.
4. Communicating scientific information: characterization of poster presentations, spoken presentations, reports and papers. Focus on Results and Discussion.
5. Introduction to Cell Culture Techniques.
Asepsis. Culture media.Physiological conditions. Culture of bacteria and yeasts.
6. Introduction to Cytology and Microscopy Techniques.
Introduction to transmission bright-field microscopy and phase-contrast microscopy: optics, image formation, operative mode, micrometry.
Differential detection of cells and organelles: staining techniques.
Cell cycle analysis in plants.
Fertilization analysis in C. elegans.
Fixed vs in vivo biological material: comparative microscopy techniques.