João Manuel Machado Prista e Silva
The Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública (ENSP) of Universidade Nova de Lisboa provides post-graduate studies and research programmes in health related areas.
Founded in 1966, ENSP is a pioneer institution in the public health teaching in Portugal, and has its origins in the Instituto Central de Higiene (Hygiene Central Institute) founded in Lisbon in 1902.
With an experienced and competent faculty, ENSP invests in the health promotion and innovation in the fields of teaching, research and cooperation, through a broad network of national and international partnerships, that contribute to the achievement of its goals:
- Promote a student-oriented teaching/learning process, with a dynamic, prospective and integrated vision of the health system and sciences in Public Health;
- Dedication towards scientific discovery, knowledge production and innovation in the Public Health field;
- Articulate research and teaching with action and innovation in the Public Health field, in order to position the school as an effective influence in the emerging knowledge society.
With the aim of promoting and developing research in scientific knowledge areas that prove to be important for Public Health development, ENSP has recently created the Centro de Investigação e Estudos em Saúde - CIESP (Public Health Study and Research Centre), with the objective of promoting and coordinating scientific research in Public Health and related fields.
In addition to the protocols and agreements signed with several national and international institutions for the development of studies and projects, ENSP is a member of several important associations:
- APEH - Associação Portuguesa de Administração Hospitalar (Portuguese Hospital Administration Association)
- APES - Associação Portuguesa de Economia da Saúde (Portuguese Health Economics Association)
- APPSP - Associação Portuguesa de Promoção da Saúde Pública (Portuguese Public Health Promotion Association)
- ASPHER - Associação das Escolas de Saúde Pública da Região Europeia (Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region)
- AUPHA (Association of University Programs in Health Administration) - EASOM (European Association of Occupational Medicine)
- EHMA (European Healthcare Management Association)
- Hospital Historical Society
The school has its own facilities at Lumiar, with the adequate resources for the students to develop their studies and learning experience. Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública has good access roads, either by private vehicle or public transport, including the bus and underground.