Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Engenharia Electrotécnica
Teacher in charge
Fernando José Almeida Vieira do Coito, Manuel Duarte Ortigueira
Main mathematical concepts:
1. Introducing dynamic systems:1.1. Introduction 1.2. Relevant test signals 1.3. System properties (linearity, time invariance, causality) 1.4. Dynamic systems
2.1. Complex numbers 2.2. Laplace transform
3. Mathematical representation of systems:
3.1. The model 3.2. Properties 3.3. Dynamic systems physical modeling: 3.3.1. Mechanical systems 3.3.2. Electrical systems 3.3.3. Heat and mass flow
4. Time analysis:
4.1. First order systems 4.2. Second order systems 4.3. Higher order systems
5. Control systems in the time domain:
5.1. Feedback 5.2. Set-point tracking 5.3. Stability. Routh-Hurwitz criterion 5.4. PID controllers
6. Control systems in the frequency domain:
6.1. Frequency behavior 6.2. Bode diagrams 6.3. The relationship between time and frequency 6.4. Control system specifications 6.4. Nyquist criterion 6.5. Gain and phase margins 6.6. The lead compensator and the lag compensator 6.7. Loop gain shaping.
7. Introduction to the discrete-time signals and systems.
Theoretical class: exposition of theoretical concepts; applicatioon examples.
Practical and laboratorial classes: propblem resolution, realization of practical works to understand the concepts; realization of short projects.
The assessment will have 3 components: tests, practice, and exam
- There will be 3 tests on the Moodle.
- The practice will be constituted by a project and several sets of problems to be done along the semester, using the 2 final hours of the classes.Tthe project will have 2 evaluations.
- Students need a minimum classification of 9,5 in pratice + 7,5 in tests, to have access to the exam.
- There will be two kinds of exams:
One counting with 40% for the final classification for those with at least 9,5 in the tests. The final classification will be done by 0.4*P+0,2*T+0,4*E.
One counting with 60% for the final classification for those with at least 7,5 in the tests. The final classification will be done by 0.4*P+0,6*E.