Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Engenharia Electrotécnica
Teacher in charge
Mário Fernando Ventim Neves
Aquisition of the knowledge about: the scientific foundations of overvoltages’ propagation and of disruption occurrence; the technical solutions for the protection against overvoltages.
Acquisition of the skill for analyzing and designing protections and insulation coordination.
Theoretical Electrotechnics; Propagation and Radiation; Electrical Power Grids or Electrical Instalations
1) Electrical Field. Computation of overhead lines’ field. Earth influence.
2) Disruption. Types of Disruption. Disruption in gasses, liquids and solids. Discharges’ characteristics. Partial discharges. Corona effect.
3) Lightning. Electrogeometrical model. Overvoltage surges’ propagation in overhead lines. Protection.
4) Simulation of discharges. Surges’ deformation due to corona and skin effects.
5) High Voltage Measurements. Measurements of partial discharges and of ESD
6) Protection. Design of lightning rods, surge arresters and overhead ground wires.
7) Insulation coordination.
1 – Domingos Moura, Técnicas de Alta Tensão, edição “Técnica – A.E.I.S.T.”, Lisboa, 1980
2 – Kuffel, E. ; Zaengl, W., High-Voltage Engineering, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1984
3 – Naidu,M.; Karamaju, V., High Voltage Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1995
4 - Begamudre, R., Extra High Voltage AC Transmission Engineering, New Age International (P) Limited, Publishers, Bangalore, 1990
5- Hileman, A.R., Insulation Coordination for Power Systems, Marcel Dekker, Inc, 1999