In order to formalise their application for a Doctorate degree candidates should submit a request form (which is supplied by the Academic and Projects Services) accompanied by the following documents:
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae, mentioning the country in which the secondary studies were carried out;
2. Photocopy of identity card (or passport in the case of foreign candidates);
3. Photocopy of taxpayer number (Cartão de contribuinte);
4. Document showing that the candidate meets the conditions specified in Article 2. In the case of foreign qualifications, the candidate should add an official document from the Portuguese embassy or consulate from the country of origin of the candidate or, as an alternative, from the embassy of the country of origin in Portugal.
5. Statement from the supervisor, accepting the supervision of the doctoral work of the candidate;
6. Outline of the thesis (minimum of one page, signed by the candidate and by the supervisor);
7. When a joint supervisor is present, the name of this person should be specified and a statement included, accepting the co-supervision of the Doctorate degree.
8. Proposal for the make-up of the Dissertation Committee, written by the supervisor. A proposal form is available at the Academic and Projects Services.
Under the agreement with the Associated Laboratory - L.A. (in cooperation with the Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência and the Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica), students may be accepted under supervision of one of these institutes, as long as the supervisor confirms his professional contract with the institution.
The enrolment of doctoral students, the thesis registration and the respective plan, are carried out directly by the doctoral students at the Academic and Projects Services, within a period of 30 working days after being informed of the successful application.
The enrolment, thesis registration and the respective plan are carried out along with the documents which have already been submitted, and to which the candidate should add:
• Registration form (supplied by the Academic and Project Services);
• 1 passport-sized colour photograph;
• Payment of the registration fee, which is established by dispatch of the Rector of the University, following a proposal made by the Head of ITQB;
• Theme of the proposed thesis and its respective plan;
• Students must also supply, when enrolling for the Thesis, a document confirming the scholarship attribution.