Faculdade de Ciências Médicas
Departamento Universitário de Imunologia
Teacher in charge
Hélder Fernando Branco Trindade
- That students at the end of the semester have knowledge about the constitution of the Immune System and on the immune defense response mechanisms, as well as the mechanisms of modulation of the immune response.
- That students understand the dynamics of the knowledge contained in a science with rapid development that integrate in all other medical sciences.
- That students adquire the competence for the study of Immunology in the Future for the comprehension of vast areas of immunological disorders, namely Immune Deficiences, Hypersensitivity Reactions, Autoimmunity, Lymphoproliferative Diseases, Tumoral Immunology and Transplantation Immunology.
The theoretical Course will be accompanied by practical demonstrations of the laboratorial technology, having in account the limitations of the Practical Education, and theoretical classes for discussion of clinical cases and hot topics in Immunology (Basic and Clinical). Finally, the integration of the Theoretical and Practical Education will look to induce in the student a careful and critical attitude in the selection of the complementary tools for the clinical diagnostic.
- That students describe the general organization of the Immune System.
- That students identify the physiological mechanisms of the immune system for the maintenance of Health, and its interaction with other systems
- That students identify and interpret the complementary tools for diagnosis in Immunology
- That students identify the essential steps for the correct approach of the candidate to a transfusion or transplant.
- That students recognize the most frequent entities with immunological basis, namely Immune Deficiencies, Allergic Diseases, Autoimmunity, Lymphoproliferative Diseases, Infectious Diseases, Hematological Diseases and Transplantation Rejection, and its correct approach for diagnosis and therapeutics.
- The Immune System. General concepts.
- Complement System
- Inate Immunity
- Antigens and Antibodies
- Cells of the Immune System and its identification by Flow Cytometry
- Maturation of B and T cells
- Major Complex of Histocompatibility
- Immune response mediated by T and B cells
- Regulation of the Immune Response
- Hipersensitivity Reactions
- Primary Immunodeficiencies
- Transplantation Immunology
- Lymphoproliferative diseases
- Tumoral Immunology
- Emergent Diseases
- Immunology of the Infectious Diseases
- HIV Infection
- Immunotherapy. Future Perspectives
- Complementary Tools for Diagnosis in Immunology
- Clinical Cases
- Hematopoietic Cells Immunophenotyping
LIVROS PARA CONSULTA:
- Arosa, F.A., Cardoso, E.N, Pacheco, F.C.; Fundamentos de Imunologia, Edições LIDEL
- Kindt, Goldsby, Osborne; Kuby IMMUNOLOGY Sixth Edition, FREMMAN
- Janeway, Travers, Walport, Shlomchik; IMMUNOBIOLOGY The immune system in health and disease, 6th Edition, GS CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE
(Independentemente de outros artigos que venham a ser sugeridos para determinados conteúdos durante as aulas)
- E.G. van Lochem, V.H.J. van der Velden, H. K. Wind, J.G. te Marvelde, N.A.C. Westerdaal, and J.J.M. van Dongen (2004). Immunophenotypic Differentiation Patterns of Normal Hematopoiesis in Human Bone Marrow: Reference Patterns for Age-Related Changes and Disease-Induced Shifts. Clinical Cytometry, 60B:1-13.
- Klein, J. And Sato A., 2000. The HLA System, First of Two Parts. The New England Journal of Medicine; 343: 702-709.
- Karolina Palucka and Jacques Banchereau (2002). How Dendritic cells and microbes interact to elicit or subvert protective immune responses. Current Opinion in Immunology, 14:420-431.
- Bruce, A. L.; 2003; Autoimnuune hepatitis, Making sense of all those antibodies; Postgraduated Medicine; July; Vol 114; nº 1.
- Mohammed Attaelmannan and Stanley S. Levinson (2000). Understanding and Identifying Monoclonal Gammopathies. Clinical Chemistry, 46:8(B) 1230-1238.
- Howard Lederman, Paige Williams, Julia Wu, Thomas Evans, Susan Cohn, J. Allen McCutchan, Susan Koletar, Richard hafner, Elizabeth Connick, Fred Valentine, M. McElrath, Norbert Roberts, and Judith Currier, for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group 889 Study Team (2003). Incomplete Immune Reconstitution after Initiation of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Patients with Severe CD4+ Cell Depletion. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 188:1794-803.
- Johansson S, Hourihane JOB, Bousquet J, Bruijnzeel-Koomen C, Dreborg S, Haahtela T, et al. A revised nomenclature for allergy. An EAACI position statement from the EAACI nomenclature task force. Allergy 2001; 56:813-24.
- Bluestone JA, Abbas AK. Natural versus adaptive regulatory T cells. Nat Rev Immunol 2003; 3:253-7.
- Sakaguchi S, Ono M, Setoguchi R, Yagi H, Hori S, Fehervari Z, Shimizu J, Takahashi T, Nomura T. Foxp3+ CD25+ CD4+ natural regulatory T cells in dominant self-tolerance and autoimmune disease. Immunol Rev 2006; 212:8-27.
- Maggi E, Cosmi L, Liotta F, Romagnani P, Romagnani S, Annunziato F. Thymic regulatory T cells. Autoimmun Rev 2005; 4:579-86.
- Sakaguchi S, Sakaguchi N, Asano M, Itoh M, Toda M. Immunologic self-tolerance maintained by activated T cells expressing IL-2 receptor alpha-chains (CD25). Breakdown of a single mechanism of self-tolerance causes various autoimmune diseases. J Immunol 1995; 155:1151-64.
- Danke NA, Koelle DM, Yee C, Beheray S, Kwok WW. Autoreactive T cells in healthy individuals. J Immunol 2004; 172:5967-72.
- Bacchetta R, Gambineri E, Roncarolo MG. Role of regulatory T cells and FOXP3 inhuman diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120:227-35.
- Ling EM, Smith T, Nguyen XD, Pridgeon C, Dallman M, Arbery J, Carr VA, Robinson DS. Relation of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T-cell suppression of allergen-driven T-cell activation to atopic status and expression of allergic disease. Lancet 2004; 363:608-15.
- Baecher-Allan C, Brown JA, Freeman GJ, Hafler DA. CD4+CD25 high regulatory cells in human peripheral blood. J Immunol 2001; 167:1245-53.
- Fontenot JD, Gavin MA, Rudensky AY. Foxp3 programs the development and function of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol 2003; 4:330-6.
- Liu W, Putnam AL, Xu-yu Z, Szot GL, Lee MR, Zhu S, Gottlieb PA, Kapranov P, Bluestone JA, et al.CD127 expression inversely correlates with FoxP3 and suppressive function of human CD4+ T reg cells. JEM 2006; 10:1701-10.
- Mottet C, Golshayan D. CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells: from basic research to potential therapeutic use. Swiss Med Wkly 2007; 137:625-34.
- Oliveira J, Gupta Sudhir. Disorders of Apoptosis: Mechanisms for Autoimmunity in Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 28:S20-S28.
- Geha R, Notarangelo L, Casanova JL, Chapel H, Conley E, Fischer A, Hammarstrom L, Nonoyama S, Ochs H e tal. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120:776-94.
- Vries E. Clinical Patient-centred screening for primary immunodeficiency: a multi-stage diagnostic protocol designed for non-immunologists. Clinical Experimental Immunology 2006;145:204-214
- Carneiro-Sampaio M, Coutinho A. Immunity to Microbes: Lessons from Primary Immunodeficiencies . Infection and Immunity 2007(75): 15451555
- Wood P, Stanworth S, Burton J, Jones A, Peckham DG, Green T, Hyde C, Chapel H. Recognition, clinical diagnosis and management of patients with primary antibody deficiencies: a systematic review Clinical Experimental Immunology 2007;149:410-423
- Casanova JL, Fieschi C, Zhang SY. Abel L. Revisiting human primary immunodeficiencies Journal of Internal Medicine 264; 115127
- Alegretti A, Mucenic T, Tavares Brenol JC, Xavier R O papel das proteínas reguladoras do complemento CD55/CD59 em células de sangue periférico de pacientes com lúpus eritematoso sistêmico Rev Bras Reumatol 2009;49(3):276-87
- Iturry-Yamamoto GR, Portinho C. Sistema do CompIemento: Activação, Regulação e Deficiências Congénitas e adquiridas. Rev Ass Med Brasil 2001; 47(1): 41-51
- Jinfang Zhu and William E. Paul CD4 T cells: fates, functions, and faults Blood. 2008;112:1557-1569)
- Lima J. Trombofilias e Gravidez Boletim da SPHM 2006;.21: 6-23
- Cohen et al Diagnosis and management of the antiphospholipid syndrome. BMJ.2010; 340: c2541
- Antunes A.,Gomes C.,Malheiro M., Pais M. S., Rosete V. Sindrome de anticorpos antifosfolipidos, revisitado a propósito de dois casos clínicos. Acta Reum Port 2003;28:107-113
- Danowski A, Kickler TS, Petri M.. Anti-beta2-glycoprotein I: prevalence, clinical correlations, and importance of persistent positivity in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome and systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2006 Sep;33(9):1775-9
- Tuthill JI, Khamashta MA. Management of antiphospholipid syndrome.J Autoimmun. 2009 Jun 24. Journal of Autoimmunity2009; 33: 92-98
Serão fornecidos os handhouts das aulas teóricas, bem como artigos científicos e a monografia detalhada do curso teórico e teórico-prático, com sumários e objectivos individualizados para cada aula.
The theoretical lectures will be given using informatics tools. The practical classes will be given using audiovisual means, with exemplification of laboratory techniques and eventually some hands on procedures.
The final evaluation in January and July, will be done by a written test constituted by 80 questions of multiple choice, with five options for each question. In each question there will be only one correct option, and each one will have a score of 0,25 values. The test will have the duration of 90 minutes, and only the questions answered in a proper paper that will be distributed for the students written with a pen, will be considered valid. Students will be approved if they get a score above 9,5 values. Only students that might have raised some draughts for the teachers regarding their classification will have an oral examination, for which they will be advised during the written test. All students that might not accept their classification (if positive) will also have an oral examination. In this situation the obtained classification at the written test will not be considered and the classification obtained during the oral examination will be the only considered as final, being considered the chance of failure or approval (10-20 values).