Physics III - Electromagnetism
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Física
Teacher in charge
António Carlos Simões Paiva, Célia Maria Reis Henriques, José Paulo Moreira dos Santos
Theoretical lectures are designed toward the understanding of laws and concepts of Physics (Electromagnetism) and their application to the resolution of real problems. In laboratory classes, emphasis is given to the experimental methods of Physics, to metrology and scientific reporting.
Previous approval in the following courses: Análise Matemática I and II, A.L.G.A. and Física I.
Electric charge Electric field Gauss law Electric potential Capacitance Current and resistance Circuits magnetic field Magnetic fiel due to currents Induction and Inductance Magnetism of matter
"Fundamentals of Physics” de Halliday, Resnick and Walker “Física” de M. Alonso e E. Finn, Tradução Portuguesa “Campos e Ondas Electromagnéticas” de P. Lorrain, D. Corson e F. Lorrain, Tradução Portuguesa, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Lectures: Concepts, demonstration and application exercise
- Laboratory sessions: Realization of experiments and analysis of the obtained result. The preparation of lab sessions is done through the mandatory execution of on-line works.
- List of Applets for virtual demonstration and experiments.
- The attendance of 3/4 of the lectures is mandatory.
- The students may choose, at their will, between two tests on the two halves of the course syllabus or a final examination.
- Students who get an average grade of 10 (out of 20) in the tests may waive the final examination. The theory grade (NT) is equal to the average grade in the tests or to the final examination grade.
- To attend the tests is mandatory the inscription in the course webpage in CLIP!
- The students must have a grade of 10 (out of 20) in the laboratory evaluation.
- The final grade (NF) is given by NF=(NT+NE)/2.