Quantum Mechanics A
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Física
Teacher in charge
José Paulo Moreira dos Santos
Previous approval in the following courses: Análise Matemática I, II e III, Física I, II e III, A.L.G.A. and Vibrations and Waves.
- Historical introduction
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
- The wave equation
- The mathematics of Quantum Mechanics
- The postulates of Quantum Mechanics
- Study of unidimensional simple systems
- Particle scattering and barrier penetration
- Systems of particles
- The Schrödinger equation in three dimensions
- Angular momentum
- Quantum states in three dimensions
- Methods of approximation - perturbation theory
- Corrections to the energy values of the hydrogen atom
- Notes written by the instructor.
- F. Duarte Santos, A. Amorim, J. Batista, Mecânica Quântica, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, 2008.
- W. Greiner, Quantum mechanics: an introduction, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994.
- S. Gasiorowicz, Quantum Physics, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1996.
- C. Cohen Tannoudji, B. Diu et F. Laloë, Quantum mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, 1991.
- J. P. Santos e M. F. Laranjeira, Métodos Matemáticos para Físicos e Engenheiros, Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Lisboa, 2004.
The course is organized in lectures where the theory is presented, and recitation sessions where problems are discussed with the instructor.
- The attendance of 3/4 of the problem-solving sessions is mandatory.
- The students may choose, at their will, between two tests on the two halves of the course syllabus or a final examination.
- Students who get an average grade of 10 (out of 20) in the tests may waive the final examination.
- To attend the tests is mandatory the inscription in the course webpage in CLIP!
- The final grade (NF) is given by NF=0.2*NMT+0.4NT1+0.4*MT2.