Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Engenharia Civil
Teacher in charge
Luís Manuel Trindade Quaresma, Rui Alexandre Lopes Baltazar Micaelo
It is intended that the students obtain the necessary knowledge to the conception and design of transportation infrastructures, especially road infrastructures. In parallel to lectures on transportation infrastructures, students prepare a group project for the design of a road section, including geometric design, earthworks, drainage, paving and safety equipment.
1. Transport and transportation infrastructures. Comparison between railway, road and airport transportation.
2. Road and railway planning.
3. Phases for design. Project components.
4. Driving conditions. Level-of-service and road capacity. Definition of speed and sight distances.
5. Horizontal alignment and vertical alignment. Restrictions to geometric design.
6. Cross-section elements.
7. Crossing. Types and characteristics.
8. Geotechnical environment and earthworks.
9. Drainage system.
10. Pavements: structures, behaviour, monitoring, maintenance and rehabilitation.
11. Signalization and safety equipment.
1. Lecture notes, available in the course webpage;
2. "Norma de traçado", JAE, 1994;
3. “Norma de intersecções”, JAE, 1990;
4. “Norma de nós de ligação”, JAE, 1990;
5. “Manual de drenagem superficial em vias de comunicação”, IEP, 2001;
6. Paul Wright, Karen Dixon – “Highway engineering”, 7th edition, Wiley, 2004.
Theoretical and practical lectures.
The evaluation includes an exam and the preparation of a road project.
The project is prepared in group, each project group with a maximum of three students.
The final grade is obtained by a weighted average of the grades of the exam and the road project, with corresponding weights of 70 % and 30%, respectively.
Approval requires attendance to at least 75 % of the theoretical classes, 75 % of the practical classes, a grade in the exam not inferior to 9/20 and a minimum final grade of 9,5/20.
Students which have been approved to do the final exam, based on class attendance and road project work, in shcool year 2010/2011 are dismissed of attending pratical classes and doing the road project work.