Food Microbiology B
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Departamento de Ciências da Vida
Teacher in charge
José Paulo Nunes de Sousa Sampaio
Knowledge on general microbiology and on the main groups of microorganisms and their main characteristics.
Food microbiology: historical perspective and objectives
Intrinsic and extrinsic parameters
Ecological concepts useful in Food Microbiology
Fermented foods and beverages
Yeasts, lactic bacteria and other microorganisms
Fermented foods and beverages: wine, beer, yoghurt, cheese, sauerkraut, soy sauce
Chemicals (benzoic acid, sorbic acid, nitrites and nitrates, etc)
Radiation (uv, beta and other)
Low temperature (storage stability, psychrotrophs)
High temperature (factors affecting heat resistance, thermal death time, D, z values)
Food safety and quality
HACCP: principles and definitions
Methods for the assessment of food quality
Microbiological indicators – concept, main groups, water microbiology and waterborne pathogens
Meats and poultry
Milk and milk products
Bacterial toxins (endo-, exo-, and enterotoxins)Staphylococcus aureus
Bacillus cereusSalmonella spp.
Escherichia coli (O157:H7 and other)
Fungi and mycotoxins
Presentation and discussion of the concepts included in the program of the course with the help of “Power Point” presentations. Discussion of case studies. Presentation, discussion and resolution of problems related to different aspects of Food Microbiology. The practical course includes four themes. Students are encouraged to analyze critically the results obtained. General presentation and discussion of laboratory results carried out primarily by the students with guidance by the teacher.
The evaluation of the theoretical part of the course consists of a final written exam. The evaluation of the laboratory course includes two short questionnaires. The average of the grade os the questionnaires contributes 65% to the final grade of the laboratory course. The remaining 35% correspond to the teacher´s evaluation of student’s performance during the entire course. Final grade corresponds to the average of laboratory and exam marks.To be approved the student must have a grade of 10 or higher (0-20 scale).