It is a specialized library in Medicine, and its related and complementary subjects.
Regular, during academic period - From Monday to Friday: 9 am to 8 pm
During school holidays - From Monday to Friday: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, sometimes reduced due to unusual causes, duly announced.
From a regular cooperation programme with the Students Association, students work as library assistants to support library extension hours.
Though mainly directed to the Faculty´s members, FCM library is open to the public in general for on site use.
The Central Library of the Faculty of Medical Sciences (FCM) is about 300 square feet with 70 seats. To provide additional space conditions there are 2 library extensions at affiliated hospitals in Lisbon: one at the Facultys building within Pulido Valente Hospital and a small nucleus at Hospital D. Estefânia. There are several computers either workstations or laptops, all with Internet access. There is wireless access at the Library. The digital interface to the Library: BiblioMedConsulta, among general library characteristics, offers specific contents created to provide guidance in information research topics to its users, Faculty´s members and general public as well.
Besides paper documents (books and journals) the library offers most of its electronic information sources on remote access via the Web.
- Textbooks and study books;
- Scientific journals;
- Library OPAC;
- Other search tools;
UNL is a member of B-ON national consortium and FCM participates in UNL´s cooperative subscriptions, so that the Library offers access to those sources as well.
- Manages document circulation via the usual lending services;
- Orients and guides in locating and getting documents non available in its own collections;
- Orients and guides in information searches;
- Participates in Interlibrary Lending and Delivery Services
- The Library provides several distance services to FCM users, namely providing difficult located articles.
- The Library also has a sector providing assistance in some bibliometric matters and also offering training in the use of citation managers.
- The Library is the institutional focal point to collect bibliographic production data of FCM´s authors.
- The Library participates in some Projects at university level: Information Literacy - Besides cooperating in this university strategic project in partnership with other professional specialists and other Academic Units, the Library also offers Information Literacy sessions to FCM´s users namely annual sessions to new first year students.
- The library also orients a specific optional module integrated into the Doctoral Programme.
- Institutional Repository - Within this project, the Library has been promoting several activities aiming to facilitate the participation of institutional authors into the university Repository - RUN.
Library website (in Portuguese language): http://www.fcm.unl.pt/biblioteca
Ramiro Ávila Medical School building at Hospital Pulido Valente, EPE
Responsable: Prof. Doutora Teresa Magalhães Godinho
Office Manager: João Cardoso
This building, located in Hospital de Pulido Valente, is a visible part of the Facultys agreement with its associated Hospitals network and serves the purpose of providing classrooms for the students of the subjects that take place in this hospital.
Medical School Building at Hospital São Francisco Xavier EPE
Responsable: Prof. Doutor José Guimarães
Office Manager: Teresa Venâncio
This is the second Medical School Building of Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da UNL, located at Hospital de São Francisco Xavier, it gives support to under graduate and post graduate studies, it is open to all units, specially for those teached at the Hospital.
The International Relations Office is responsible for student mobility to and from the Faculty of Medical Sciences (FCM), which is done under:
- The European Lifelong Learning Project, specifically Erasmus.
- As Free-mover clinical clerkships.
- The Santander Portuguese-Brazilian University Scholarships programme.
- Specific agreements between the New University of Lisbon´s and Brazilian Universities.
FCM´s specific Erasmus rules can be can be checked here and additional information can be found in http://www.fcm.unl.pt/erasmus/index.htm. also, practical information common to all of the New University of Lisbon´s academic units, are available in this guide.
Contacts and information:
International Relations Coordinator: Prof.ª Doutora Teresa Gamboa
Erasmus Programme Coordinator: Prof.ª Doutora Teresa Gamboa
Administrative officers: Mr. Michael Bright / Ms. Paula Paraíso
Gabinete de Relações Internacionais
Faculdade de Ciências Médicas
Campo Mártires da Pátria, 130
Tel.: (+351) 21 880 30 71
Fax: (+ 351) 21 880 30 67
Student attendance hours: Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 13:30 to 16:00
For information, please contact: email@example.com
Prizes - AstraZeneca Foundation - Faculdade de Ciências Médicas.
For more information please consult: http://ilnova.fcsh.unl.pt/
The Faculty of Medical Sciences´ students have access to a canteen at the main building and at the Medical School Building at Hospital São Francisco Xavier. Also, upon the display of their student card, have access to all the canteens of the New University of Lisbon, the University of Lisbon, the Technical University of Lisbon and the Polytechnic University of Lisbon.
- Campo Mártires da Pátria, 130
- Medical School Building, Hospital São Francisco Xavier (canteen will be available during 2011-2012).
Special needs facilities
All Faculty of Medical Sciences infrastructures are fully equipped to comply with the requirements of disabled users.
Extra curriculum activities
New University of Lisbon Choir
Founded in 1988, it is composed of members of the University' s various faculties.
The Faculty of Medical Sciences´ Academic Association
Responsible for the welcoming of new students, it was started in 1998.
Miguel Torga theatre Group
Started in 1995, it comprises members of other faculties and Universities.
Tuna Médica de Lisboa
In existence since 1995, it is composed of member of Lisbon' s two Medical Faculties.
The students association of the Faculty of Medical Sciences was created on the 15th of May, 1977. Its Goals are to represent the Faculty' s students, and to carry out several activities in view of a comprehensive educational experience.
This activities are carried out in four main areas:
- Medical Education and Students Representation
- Health of Populations
- Biomedical Research
- Culture and Social Integration
For further information, please e-mail us to firstname.lastname@example.org
Association of former students of the Faculty of Medical Sciences
Carris Bus Lines: 30, 723, 760 and 767
Routes and schedules here.