Literatures and Cultures from Portuguese Speaking Countries
Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas
Teacher in charge
Maria Rosário Pimentel
a) To develop overall knowledge about Portuguese speaking countries in their political, social, cultural and literary dimensions;
b) To discuss topics about these countries concerning History, and linguistic, literary and socio-cultural diversity;
c) To integrate these problems in trends concerning contemporary thought;
d) To develop individual research.
1. Culture as a means to understand the world in its value systems, knowledge and action. Culture and cultures. Dominance and subalternity. Cultural variation.
2. A brief history of the Portuguese Speaking Countries: expansionism and displacements. European culture and civilizational paradigms.
3. The transatlantic trade and multi-continental circulation. Slave trade and cultural and religious interactions. Cultural resistance and the interpretation of cultures.
4. Description/representation of the World and the ideological debate: images of Africa, Brazil and the East. Cultural practices, social organization, language, the arts, medicine, daily chores.
5. Portuguese language and innovation.
THOMAZ, Luís Filipe F. R., De Ceuta a Timor, Lisboa, Difel,1994.
BUESCU, Leonor, O estudo das línguas exóticas no século XVI, Lisboa, biblioteca Breve, 1983.
ELLIOT, J. H., O velho mundo e o Novo, Lisboa, Editorial Querco, 1984.
SAID, E. W., Orientalismo, Lisboa: Cotovia, 2004, Ensaio.
África – literatura, arte e cultura, nos. 1-14, Linda-a-Velha, 1978-1986.
This course is organized as a seminar, including readings, class presentations and discussions with guest speakers.
1 final paper and class presentations