WHAT IS IT?
This course was inspired on Tim Clark’s course Business Model You. It focuses on the development of skills to understand, redefine and/or change the path of a professional career using a stabilised framework of career planning and also to explore how to establish professional relationships potentially interesting.
- Fundamentals of Career Modeling: An overview of different steps in the career planning process including self-assessment, explore career opportunities and career development planning.
- Build your Professional Identity: Offer PhD students a structured process to identify values, skills, interests, and other work motivators.
- Networking and Collaboration: A well-developed network is a key aspect of managing your development and career: work in groups and benefit from the insights of others, improve networking skills and feedback from the mentors.
By the end of the curricular unit participants will be able to:
- Understand and describe their career goals
- Describe the purpose behind their work - not just to earn a living, but mostly to enjoy what they do and excel at doing it
- Define their own personal strategy to achieve greater satisfaction and success
- Define their personal identity describing them in what makes them unique - and different from other professionals or PhD holders
WHO CAN APPLY?
- PhD students at Universidade NOVA de Lisboa that will deliver their thesis in the next 6 months
- PhD holders working at NOVA (Professors, Researchers, Posdocs) who have finished their PhD in the last two years
- NOVA Alumni that have finished their PhD in the last two years
WHEN and WHERE?
(NEW DATE) 3rd edition: 3/03 and 10/03/2018 (Saturdays) | 9 am – 6 pm | This edition will be held in Portuguese | Venue: NOVA Medical School (NMS|FCM)
STUDY LOAD AND EVALUATION
28 h | 1 ECTS (2 days)
Activities and Evaluation
Self-assessment activities to review interests, values, and skills.
- Reflective exercises to recognize and articulate each PhD unique "career brand".
- Align skills and interests with specific career goals using frameworks like Business Model You and Immunity to Change
- Participation and involvement of the students in the class.
- Individual work (including oral presentation and written report with career plan).
Clark, T.; Osterwalder, A. & Pigneur, Y. (2012). Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career. New Jersey: John H. Wiley & Sons.
Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., In Clark, T., & Smith, A. (2010). Business model generation: A handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers. New Jersey: John H. Wiley & Sons.
Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y. & Gregory, B. (2014). Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want. New Jersey: John H. Wiley & Sons.held in Portuguese